We’re all aware of the climate emergency and the need for things to change. One thing I’d like to do is use bikes more. The round trip to school twice a day uses a gallon of petrol a day, plus the short journey isn’t great for the car.
My car is on 90,000 miles now so will need to be replaced sometime. With a bit of luck it will go on for a long time yet. Hopefully it will be replaced by an electric car. However:
- I can’t afford an electric car
- The range is ok, but charging away from home is a problem
- Very few electric cars can legally tow a trailer
- It seems very inefficient to carry around over a tonne of stuff to transport 150kgs of people a short distance.
EBikes sound like a much more optimal design and would be a huge help on the hills round here. But I’m getting ahead of myself – let’s start on the bike.
School is around 8 miles away and it is uphill most of the way there. That’s actually ok – getting the kids out of the house an hour earlier to cycle to school isn’t going to happen, so we’re only looking at cycling home from school which is mostly downhill. Much easier.
I’ve got two kids and not much money so what are the options for moving them around?
The requirements are:
- Low cost
- Kids should be pedalling – I don’t want a cargo bike or trailer – as otherwise they’ll get bored
- Able to climb steep hills (they are really steep round here)
- Safe coming down the hills (ditto)