One thing about sailing with small children is that you want to tie up to a jetty if at all possible. This means having usable cleats. It is possible to tie off to the traveller but having cleats is easier.
However, I don’t want the cleats to catch on the mainsheet or other ropes, This means they need to be somewhere out of the way. The best option appears to be to feed the rope through the handhold at the back of the side decks and forwards onto a cleat under the side deck.
I made up two plywood panels – one for each side – and attached the cleats using T-nuts. I’ve also added some spare T-nuts for other attachments, one spare cleat (it is always useful to be able to tie things on) and a clamcleat that will take string threaded through the scupper on the transom – this can be used for a foothold rope or for attaching the tent.
From the left:
- Screws for tape to attach fenders to and/or keep things under the side decks – possibly with the aid of netting;
- Spare cleat – dunno what this is for – I had these spare and they fitted on my bits of plywood. There will always be something that needs to be tied on.
- Main cleat – angled to accept mooring warps from the scuppers;
- Screw for tape that can hold something to keep the tiller central;
- Clamcleat for string through the scuppers on the transom.
The plywood panels will be epoxied to the hull. This means I need to grind back the hull to give the epoxy a chance. By far the easiest way to do this is with a sanding disk, but access isn’t easy. To get this to work I needed to make a sanding disk extension.
This means I can reach all the bits of the hull to mount the panels – without needing to buy anything!