I ordered aluminium tubes for the main mast, yard and battens a couple of days ago. They arrived today. We’ve got:
|Tube||Weight (kg/m)||Yield moment (Nm)|
|Main||2 3/4″ x 10swg||1.85||1840|
|Topmast||2 1/2″ x 16swg||0.86||810|
|Yard||2″ x 16swg||0.68||509|
|Battens||1″ x 18swg||0.25||91|
Amazingly the topmast/strengthener actually fits perfectly inside the main tube!
TBH I wasn’t expecting this to fit due to the tolerances on the tubes, but I figured that it was worth ordering as it wasn’t expensive and I could use the tube elsewhere. Now need to work out how to put it all together. I may still add wood to the mast – we’ll see.