Mast finished, burgee halyard, anchor storage

I finally got the topmast plug out! Phew. Method was:

One. Buy a big drill from Screwfix.

25mm drill

Two: abuse my power drill and drill a hole through the middle of the plug.

Three: use an original 1980’s hot air paint stripper to push air through the plug as often as possible.

After a few days the plug came out. It is now fitted properly.

I also added a burgee halyard cleat:

Burgee halyard cleat. Might catch on lines – we’ll see.

Plus I’ve made a tarpaulin pocket to hold the anchor so it is ready for use next to the tapernacle.

Update: here’s the picture:

Anchor mount

The anchor is a Guardian – a cheaper version of the aluminium Fortress. It was bought for a 21′ 1100kg boat so is a bit oversized for the Wanderer. However it is very light and I own it so that’s what I’m using. I use old climbing rope for the warp as (a) I’ve got 300′ of it and (b) it is very stretchy. The mount works nicely. I didn’t get the shank mount in quite the right place but it fits ok.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.