I’m building a telescope, of which more anon. I don’t want to build a mount for it, so I’m going to use my existing Mead GOTO mount. This means that:
- I want to be able to attach the new telescope to the existing mount
- The telescope needs to be able to slide in the mount to get the right balance. This is particularly important as the new telescope will be heavier than the 90mm Mead telescope.
- I want to be able to attach the Mead telescope to the GOTO mount too.
This is what I’ve come up with:
The picture shows the existing Mead telescope clamp attached by the new dovetail bar.
The dovetail bar is smaller than the standard Vixen dovetail bar for a couple of good reasons:
- It was made out of offcuts I had lying around.
- The mount will be somewhat overloaded by the new telescope so I didn’t want to increase the overhang more than absolutely necessary.
So far so good – just need to get the new telescope finished!