I cut two more strips on the bandsaw and thinned them down. They were slightly too narrow to use for the bottom of the uke so I used them for the sides. Thinning the sides takes a while but gets there in the end. I’m aiming for 2mm thick.
My partner’s curling tongs were generously donated for the project so I needed to try them out.
Stuff still to do:
- Get the top thinner – it is currently about 3mm and I’d like it to be around 2mm, maybe slightly less.
- Make the bottom, including joining the sides together.
- Get the sides exactly the right shape.
- Make neck and tail block, then glue sides together.
- Make neck and headstock.
- Make fretboard.
- Make linings to join sides to top and bottom.
- Start putting everything together!
Quite a lot to do but there is no deadline so it really doesn’t matter when it happens 🙂